Comfort food is always on our mind, especially ways we can play with our food. We love to look for ways to modify some of our family’s favorite dishes. Shepherd’s pie is a classic meal that we often enjoy during the fall and winter. We were recently inspired to transform our standard fare into something amazing. Our bacon cheeseburger shepherd’s pie is just beyond delicious, and it’s a fun way to shake up an old recipe.
Much of the original recipe is here: beef, potatoes, and onions. The next ingredient is one that is almost so simple, we can’t believe we’ve waited so long to try it: cheddar cheese soup.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (10 oz) cans condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
- 4 green onions, sliced on an bias
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a deep baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brown beef over medium high heat along with diced onions and minced garlic. Drain excess grease.
- Add condensed cheddar cheese soup, ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire. Stir to combine. Bring meat and cheese mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer beef mixture to prepared baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes, spreading evenly over top of beef. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake for 5-10 minutes, until potatoes are warmed through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes then serve garnished with chopped bacon and green onions.