This easy recipe for Scalloped Potatoes is one you will make again and again. Extremely creamy and cheesy potato perfection!
When I think of Scalloped Potatoes, I think of family get-togethers, holidays, and an unforgettable super creamy cheesy potatoes. Scalloped Potatoes are usually reserved for those special occasions because they are a little more time consuming than say, mashed potatoes or a potato casserole but are probably more delicious than them both because they are laced with a homemade, buttery cream sauce, browned onions and topped with cheddar cheese.
SCALLOPED POTATOES RECIPE
I adore this recipe because it’s the epitome of potato perfection. Typically served with baked ham at Easter, these scalloped potatoes are made with really simple ingredients:
- Potatoes – starchy *peeled* potatoes cut relatively thin. I used large Idaho potatoes to make my life easier (because peeling small potatoes is the worst).
- Salted Butter – for flavor and for frying.
- Onions – I fried up yellow onions until lightly browned for that delicious onion flavor.
- Flour – this acts as our thickener.
- Milk – to help thin out the flour-butter-onion mixture.
- Salt and Pepper – season to your liking but add more salt! I’ll tell you why below.
- Ground Nutmeg – a sweet spice that can stand on its own. It compliments potatoes really well!
- Heavy Cream – to make the cream sauce even more creamy.
- Cheddar Cheese – I used grated medium cheddar, but if you like things sharper, go for it!
Let’s get to the recipe.
PLEASE, USE THE NEXT PAGE BUTTON OR OPEN BUTTON BELOW FOR THE RECIPE AND INGREDIENTS.