This Boston Cream Poke Cake tastes just like the pie but in cake form! Easily made with a boxed cake mix, pudding and chocolate frosting!
This is an easy and fun cake that everyone wants the recipe for. I have made this recipe more times than I can count for friends, family and co-workers. It’s requested for birthday cakes, celebration cakes and just because
TIPS FOR MAKING POKE CAKES:
- You’ll need a large round wooden spoon handle or other similar sized object to poke the holes. You want fairly large-sized holes for the pudding to go into.
- Don’t let the pudding set before pouring onto cake. Whisk the pudding well for a minute or two then start pouring straight into the holes of the cake.
- When softening the frosting in the microwave (to make it pourable) make sure not to get it bubbling hot. Just microwave it for a few seconds at a time and stir after each time until it gets to a smooth, pourable consistency. The cake should be completely cooled before doing this.
- I have tons of different poke cake ideas here on the blog. You can have a lot of fun with these cakes by switching out the cake, pudding and frosting flavors!
- 1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients called for on package
- 2 (3.4 oz) boxes instant vanilla pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 oz bag chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Prepare yellow cake in a 9×13-inch baking pan according to package instructions. Let cool completely.
- Once cake has cooled, poke holes all over the cake using the end of a wooden spoon.
- While cake cools, whisk together the instant pudding, milk, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Before the pudding has a chance to set up and thicken, pour it evenly over the cake. Place in refrigerator to chill for one hour.
- Once cake has chilled, make the chocolate ganache:
- Place chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and heat cream until simmering on the stovetop over low heat. (You can also heat it in the microwave.)
- Pour hot cream over chocolate chips and let sit for 5 minutes to soften the chocolate. Stir until smooth and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour chocolate over cake and smooth with a spatula. Chill in refrigerator at least 4 hours and up to overnight before slicing and serving. Enjoy!