- Chocolate cake mix: 1 box (I use only the dry mix)
- Dr. Pepper Cherry Soda: 1 1/2 cup
- Maraschino cherries with no stem : 1 jar ( I always remove 24 cherries from the jar and set aside)
- Unsalted sweet cream butter: 1 cup (softened)
- Powdered sugar: 3 cups + 2 more cups if needed
- chocolate shavings: 1 container, if desired (Found at Hobby Lobby)
How To Make Cherry Dr. Pepper Cake
FOR THE CAKE:
1. I always set the temperature of my oven to 350F before I start.
2. Using pam baking spray, spray a 9×13 baking dish; set aside.
3. Then mix together the cake mix and soda with a standing mixer, until combined.
4. Make sure to cut the cherries in half. And please mix into the batter.
5. The cake batter needs to be poured into the baking dish at this stage.
6. Once done, bake in the oven or until a toothpick comes out clean, it takes around half an hour.
7. The last step is to permit the cake cooled completely before frosting.
FOR THE CHERRY FROSTING:
1. Cream together the butter, powdered sugar and cherry juice with a standing mixer, until combined and stiff.
2. You may want to add in another cup of powdered sugar in case your frosting is thin.
3. Be sure to scoop the frosting onto the cake. Using a angled spatula, smooth evenly.
4. Alright now, sprinkle the chocolate shavings onto the frosting. Always remember to add a few cherries.
5. Finally, place into the fridge for 60 minutes to allow the frosting to harden before cutting!