One of our favorite things about a get-together, apart from the great company, is sampling all the great dishes everyone brings to the party! Now, we love a good casserole – anything creamy and cheesy always has our name on it – but, finger food is really the way to go when there’s a crowd of people looking to mingle about and catch up with one another. Which is why we’re always trying out new recipes and seeing what needs tweaking in order to get it just right…which is exactly what happened with these Texas corn nuggets!
We love all manner of yummy fried foods, but these corn nuggets were new for us. They’ve got whole corn kernels and creamed corn, frozen into balls, then dipped in a tasty, seasoned batter and fried to perfection. These nuggets are so good – you could even add in some cheese if you had some on hand – and we’ve gotten rave reviews from everyone who have tried them. If croquettes are your thing, you’ll definitely love these guys, so grab some corn and get frying!
- 1 (11 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- In a medium bowl, stir together the creamed corn and drained whole kernel corn. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat with vegetable oil or cooking spray. Drop spoonfuls of the corn mixture onto the sheet, and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
- Heat one inch of oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a large deep skillet, or fill a deep-fryer with oil as directed by the manufacturer.
- Mix together the cornmeal, flour, egg white, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Dip frozen corn nuggets in the batter, and quickly fry in hot oil until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain.