Whether it’s basic buttercream, swiss meringue, chocolate ganache, or whipped cream, everybody has a favorite kind of frosting. (Though we don’t think we’ve ever heard anyone say that it’s that crusty stuff from the grocery store.) Ours is – and forever will be – cream cheese frosting, and we don’t think we’re alone there. Something about how that subtle tang of the cream cheese keeps the sugar from being too cloying. And how the consistency is irresistibly velvety and creamy. To us, it’s the perfectly balanced frosting, and this recipe here is our very favorite.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- Gradually add powdered sugar in 2 cup increments until desired consistency is reach, beating until smooth after each addition.