Whether it’s a bake sale, a friend stopping over to chat, or just an impromptu sweet afternoon snack for the kids, there always seems to be a fitting occasion for baking up some cookies. Of course, as far as cookies go, we don’t think you really need any occasion at all! Cookies are the perfect “just because” dessert and we love to have them around the house whenever we can just in case our sweet tooth needs satisfying… But whatever your reason is for getting out the oven mitts, these cookies will exceed your expectations. They’re crispy and buttery and just sweet enough and we just adore them.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on high until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla, and beat to combine. Gradually add the flour, mixing on low until incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half, and form each half into a log 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour to overnight.
- When chilled, remove one dough log and using a sharp knife, cut it into 1/4-inch slices. Place 1-inch apart on lined baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake until cookies are lightly golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to wire racks to cool. Enjoy!
Adapted from Food.com.