Lemon, rice, and savory chicken broth thickened into a velvety consistency with some eggs. That’s Avgolemono (or Greek Lemon Soup). It’s comforting and tasty, but so very simple (as all the best comfort food is). And with a short ingredient list, it’s really easy to make! While it might look a teeny bit like lemon pudding, we can assure you it’s not at all dessert-like. It’s savory, a little bit tart, and it’s totally delicious.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup short grain white rice
- 3 large eggs
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil and add the rice. Stir for 2 minutes, then reduce heat to a simmer and let cook until rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and lemon juice until combined. Add a ladleful of hot broth from the pot and slowly pour it into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. (This tempers the eggs so they don’t curdle when you add them to the pot.) Add one more ladle of hot broth and stir to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into pot of soup, stirring to combine. Add lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with fresh parsley, if desired. Enjoy!
Adapted from My Gourmet Connection.