- Adapted from Hershey’s
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 & 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk or heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Whipped Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
For the Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup of cream cheese
- 1 & 3/4 cups Hersheys cocoa powder
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons whole Milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Instructions Hersheys Chocolate Cake
- First, preheat your oven to 350F.
- Spray 3 round cake pans with cooking spray
- Dust the pans lightly with flour, set aside.
- In a Large mixing bowl or kitchenaid mixer combine the Flour, Hersheys cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and the salt.
- Add in the milk, oil, eggs and the vanilla extract & mix until everything is thoroughly incorporated. Once all combined, stir in the boiling water last; mix again, the batter will be very thin.
- Pour the batter evenly in each of the sprayed/floured cake pans
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each layer comes out clean. Once fully baked, remove from oven & allow the 3 cakes to cool for at least 10-15 minutes before removing them.
- Once removed, transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- I always use a cake leveler to make sure the layers are even, you can also use a serrated knife
- While they finish cooling, prepare your frostings.
Whipped Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting Instructions
- Whip the cream cheese & the butter with an electric mixer on high speed for about 30 seconds. Once combined begin adding in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at time, making sure each half cup is fully incorporated before mixing in another 1/2 cup., add in the vanilla extract & whip one last time for about 30 more seconds on high and beat one minute more until nice & fluffy
Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting Inctructions
- In a large bowl beat the butter & cream cheese with an electric mixer and begin adding in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time again
- add in the cocoa and the milk & vanilla
- Whip all of the ingredients until they are thoroughly incorporated
- Beat at High speed for about one minute or until fluffy.
Once you are ready to assemble the cake
- Level the cakes with a cake leveler to assure perfect stacking of the cake layers
- Place the bottom layer on a cake plate.
- Spread 3/4 cup of the cream cheese buttercream filling over the bottom cake layer
- Top with the second leveled layer and repeat the process.
- Lastly, top with the third layer.
- Frost just the very top with the remaining Whipped cream cheese buttercream & refrigerate for about 15 minutes
- Finally, remove from the refrigerator & frost the top layer gently with the chocolate cream cheese buttercream & all over the sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.