These delicious skillet fried potatoes Make a delightful side dish to go with your healthy breakfast
Recipe for Fried Onions and Potatoes
- Peanut oil should be enough to cover the bottom of your entire pan
- 2 TBs unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1lb Idaho russet, or Red potatoes
- Salted water
- 1/2 medium-sized sweet onion like Vidalia
- Salt and pepper to your liking
- Garnish with fresh basil and paprika
- A heavy 9-inch cast-iron skillet can be placed over medium heat (just a bit more than the medium setting on my electric stove).
- Add the butter to the skillet. Let it heat until the oil shimmers on the surface. If it does, turn off the heat.
- Chop the potatoes into equal-sized pieces – chips, cubes or both.
- Place the cut pieces in 4 cups of boiling water with 2 Tbs salt added.
- You can cut up the onion into larger pieces than you would a potato.
- After 5 minutes, drain the potato very well and dry it with paper towels.
- Once the oil has gotten shimmery, add the onion and potato to the oil. If they are not able to be laid side-by-side, let them cook.
- Cook each side for approximately 4 minutes, then turn and cook the other side for 2-4 minutes.
- Use a paper towel to drain the oil. Salt and pepper immediately after you have removed the oil from the pan.
- Serve hot.