“No pre-soaking beans required. I know it sounds strange, but my mother-in-law always added a can of pork and beans to her homemade bean soup and, seriously, it adds another layer of flavor.”
- 2 cups dry navy beans
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans, undrained
- 1 cup chopped ham
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Put navy beans, chicken broth, water, tomatoes, carrots, onion, and celery into an electric pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)). Seal pressure cooker and turn the venting knob to point at “Sealed.” Press the “Manual” button for high pressure and set timer for 45 minutes. When countdown is complete, release pressure naturally according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove lid, stir in pork and beans and ham. Season with salt and pepper.