“This is a really easy recipe that my mom made before the lemon bar ‘rage’ was on! Thick-skinned lemons work the best. I suggest using real butter and eggs, I’ve tried using eggbeaters–nowhere near as good!”
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix 2 cups of flour and confectioner’s sugar together. Cut in the butter or margarine. Mix well until the dough resembles pie dough consistency. Press the dough into a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Beat together eggs, sugar, 4 tablespoons flour, lemon juice and lemon rind for at least 1 minute. Pour the mixture over the baked crust.
- Bake the bars another 20 minutes, or until the lemon topping has set. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar when cooled.