Prep Time15 minsCook Time50 minsTotal Time1 hr 5 minsCourse: Dessert Servings: 1 Loaf Author: Colleen Kennedy
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 TBS cinnamon
- 2 apples peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 stick butter 1/2 cup, room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Homemade or store-bought caramel
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8×4 or 9×5 loaf pan.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit into your loaf pan with plenty hanging out from the long side of the pan (non on the short ends). You want to use this to lift the bread out after it cools a bit…that way your top will stay perfect.
- Combine the 1/4 cup of sugar and the 1/4 cup of brown sugar with the TBS of cinnamon in a bowl big enough to toss your apple chunks.
- Reserve 2 TBS of the cinnamon sugar mixture for the top of the bread.
- In a mixer or by hand, combine butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add in the flour, sprinkle the baking soda over-top of the flour and mix it in until smooth.
- Mix in the milk until smooth.
- Scrape 1/2 of the batter into your prepared pan.
- Layer 1/2 of the apple mixture on top.
- Cover with the remaining batter and place remaining apples on top.
- Coat the top with your remaining cinnamon sugar mixture and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly dry about 50 minutes.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes before gently lifting out the loaf by first running a knife around the edges that touched the pan then using the parchment paper to loft the loaf to a cooling rack.
- Drizzle with caramel and serve.
I swear by Ina Garten’s Caramel RecipeI have replaced the milk with vanilla yogurt with success.Feel free to add chopped nuts to the top if you enjoy that.