- 2 large bell peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces top round steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F. Place pepper halves on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until they are tender but still hold their shape, about 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they’re softened and release their juices, about 5 minutes more. Add steak, Italian seasoning, pepper and salt; cook, stirring, until just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in Worcestershire.
- 3Preheat broiler to high. Divide the filling between the pepper halves and top each with a slice of cheese. Broil 5 inches from the heat until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.