“This is my version of a recipe that came with my weekly produce basket, which contained several of the ingredients in the recipe. I made a few changes to suit my tastes, and the results were delicious! It makes a great vegetarian main course, or a nice accompaniment to a meat entree.”
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 large zucchini, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomato
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Pierce the shell of the spaghetti squash with a fork and place in a microwave-safe dish; cook in microwave on High for 12 minutes. Set aside to cook until cool enough to handle. Slice in half lengthwise; remove the seeds. Use a fork to pull the flesh of the squash away from the shell and place into a large bowl; fluff with the fork to separate the strands as much as possible.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion in the hot oil until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking and stirring another 3 minutes. Stir the zucchini and green bell pepper into the mixture; season with the Italian herb seasoning and black pepper. Pour the tomatoes into the skillet. Continue cooking just until the tomatoes are warmed, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the squash to the skillet and toss until evenly mixed. Sprinkle with the feta cheese and toss again to serve.