Is anyone else in the same boat of wanting to enjoy some tasty ribs at any given time, but feeling like you have to wait until the summer months roll around so you can dust off the barbecue? We hate not being able to enjoy something simply because it’s not the season for it, so we thought we’d find a workaround to make some amazing short ribs without all the hassle of firing up the grill. That’s what our slow cooker’s for! That’s right, with our trusty slow cooker we can whip up – not really, since low and slow is the way to go with these bad boys – some fall-off-the-bone short ribs that are perfectly tender and deliciously seasoned.
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 can beer, optional
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Mix together onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper together in a small bowl until combined.
- Rub mixture onto ribs, making sure to coat all sides, then set ribs aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat until oil is shimmering, then brown short ribs on both sides. Remove from heat.
- In a second bowl, whisk together barbecue sauce, honey and mustard until combined, then brush mixture all over ribs.
- Spread chopped onion along the bottom of slow cooker, then place short ribs on top.
- Pour beer over the ribs, then cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4, or until meat pulls apart from the bone.
- Optional: brush ribs with sauce again and broil for 5 minutes, or until crispy.
- Optional: reduce BBQ sauce over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Foodista