Southern Fried Pickle
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon drained horseradish
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
For the pickles
- Peanut or vegetable oil , for frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups sliced dill pickles, drained
- Make the sauce: Mix the mayonnaise, horseradish, ketchup and Cajun seasoning in a bowl; set aside.
- Fry the pickles: Heat 1 inch peanut oil in a pot over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, whisk the flour, Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper , 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup water in a large bowl until smooth. Spread the pickles on paper towels and pat dry.
- Add half of the pickles to the batter and toss to coat. Remove from the batter using a slotted spoon, letting the excess drip off, and add to the oil one at a time. Fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Return the oil to 375 degrees F and repeat with the remaining pickles and batter. Serve immediately with the prepared sauce.