With Valentine’s Day coming up, this trifle is just the thing to make!! Not only is it loaded with flavor, but it looks quite pretty and festive for the special day! Of course, this can be enjoyed any day of the year!! I made this last weekend for my family to enjoy and all of us loved it.
The kids loved the strawberries in it, while I, being the chocolate fan I am, loved the brownies haha!!
This Strawberry Chocolate Brownie Trifle combines my favorite fudgy brownies with a creamy chocolate pastry cream, plus fresh strawberries and cream! It’s a classic pairing of flavors for a satisfying and simple chocolate dessert.
And in the spirit of keeping things simple, if you don’t want to make your own chocolate brownies (I totally get you!), you can buy your favorite box mix brownies for this strawberry chocolate brownie trifle recipe.
Another great substitute for the brownies in this recipe would be leftover chocolate cake. I love using my fudgy chocolate cake here in this recipe because it’s unabashedly fudgy that it’s almost like a cake-brownie hybrid. It’s also a lighter alternative to fudgy brownies.
I prefer making this strawberry chocolate brownie trifle with chocolate creme patissiere, because it’s essentially chocolate pudding. The one change I make to that regular chocolate pastry cream recipe is the addition of some Kahlua to give it a boozy kick. That’s optional though, so you can leave it out if you’re making these brownie trifles for kids.
- 1 box brownie mix (enough to make a 9×13) *you can also use a homemade brownie recipe
- 12 oz Cool Whip
- 5 oz Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 2 lbs Fresh Strawberries, sliced
- Chocolate Chips, melted for drizzling on top
- Bake brownies according to directions and allow to cool completely. Once brownies are cooled, cut the brownies into small squares.
- Slice the strawberries and remove the stems/leaves.
- In a bowl, mix the pudding according to directions on package. Once pudding is set, fold in the cool whip to create a custard.
- To assemble, layer half the brownies on the bottom of trifle bowl. Pour half the custard on top of brownies. Layer half the strawberries on top of the custard. Repeat steps one more time ending with the strawberries on top.
- Melt about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and carefully drizzle melted chocolate on top of the finished trifle.
- Chill in refrigerator until eating, enjoy!