Sit in a tub with just your bottom and privates covered? Are you serious? A sitz bath is just that. Dr. Axe states that a sitz bath is used to treat conditions such as “hemorrhoids, anal fissure, diarrhea, prostatitis, vaginal yeast infection and vaginal birth.”
If you don’t have any of the ingredients below to add to your sitz, you can do a very simple bath by using straight warm water. The warmth from the water increases the flow of blood to the area, helping it to heal more quickly. Here are 5+ recipes for a sitz bath.
1. Witch hazel. For a post-partum sitz bath, Parenting says to combine 1/2 cup Epsom salt, 2 tablespoons baking soda, 2 tablespoons witch hazel, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 8 drops chamomile essential oil and 8 drops lavender essential oil. Fill the tub with warm water and enjoy.
2. Blueberry. If you suffer from hemorrhoids, Health Guidancerecommends boiling 1 cup of water and adding 2 cups of dried blueberry leaves, steeping it for 20 minutes. Strain the leaves and pour the liquid into your sitz bath. Top it off with warm water and sit in the tub for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Herbal. Just Making Noise makes an herbal sitz bath for after delivery. Combine 2 cups chamomile flowers, 2 cups rosemary leaf, 2 cups comfrey leaf, 2 cups yarrow flower, 1 cup lavender flower, 1 cup calendula flower, and 2 cups Epsom salt. Mix these thoroughly and store in a jar. When you need a sitz bath, take 2 cups of the mixture and place it in a mesh bag. Boil 1 gallon of water and steep the mixture for 20 minutes. Pour the “tea” into the bath and top it with warm water.
4. Baking soda. University Health Network says you can make a simple sitz bath by adding 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda to the warm water.
5. Epsom salt. The basic sitz bath is the salt sitz. Health Guidance says to add 1/4 cup Epsom salt or regular salt to the water. Sit for at least 30 minutes to let the water do its work.
6. Frankincense and tea tree oil. Dr. Axe mixes 1/3 cup Epsom salt, 1/4 cup sea salt, 2 table spoons witch hazel, 10 drops tea tree oil, 8 drops frankincense oil and 8 drops lavender oil together for his sitz bath. Add your warm water and allow the salt to dissolve completely.
The next time you have a yeast infection or some other issue that a sitz bath can address, give yourself some much needed relief.