Nothing elevates store-bought tortellini like a sage infused brown butter sauce with toasted walnuts. It takes simple store-bought pasta and transforms it into a stunning dish perfect for a special occasion or date night but easy enough for the midweek. Brown butter and sage are a winning fall combo and the combo is complete when you throw in some squash, sweet potatoes or pumpkin. So that is what we did here – we added sweet roasted delicata squash for a sweet creamy addition and toasted crunchy walnuts for extra flavour and texture to this delicious pasta. Crispy sage is quite trendy for a reason- it tastes amazing. It only takes about a minute to make the sage crispy, and it really makes all the difference in the tortellini brown butter sauce. Sometimes simple recipes are the best, and sage butter sauce is no exception. The perfect fall pasta!
I used vegan tortellini for this, but you can use your favorite dairy-based tortellini!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
What you could add:
Arugula or baby spinach
Fresh cherry tomatoes: Canned or crushed or diced tomatoes
Vegan tortellini: Vegan ravioli or use rigatoni or penne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (.5-ounce) package of sage, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) package of vegan tortellini
- 2 pints fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ cup water or vegetable stock
- Salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
Prepare the sage:
- Remove 8 sage leaves from the stems and set them aside. Finely mince the remaining sage leaves.
Fry the sage leaves:
- Heat the two tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sage leaves and cook for 30–45 seconds until crispy. Carefully remove the leaves and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and set aside. Turn the heat on the skillet to medium.
Cook the tomatoes:
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 15–20 minutes until they begin to split.
Prepare the tortellini:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Finish the sauce:
- Lightly mash a few of the tomatoes. Add the minced sage, maple syrup, and lemon juice and ½ cup water or vegetable stock. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes until it begins to thicken.
Add the tortellini:
- Add the cooked tortellini to the sauce and toss to coat. Taste and season once more to your preferences. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the tortellini and tomatoes between shallow bowls. Serve with the crispy sage on top. Enjoy!