While we’re very open about our dessert addiction, there’s always something fun about transforming something that’s typically sweet (or generally thought of as being sweet) and turning it into savory. For example, we normally enjoy sweet crepes, but turning them into a tasty dinner casserole was a stroke of genius, if we do say so ourselves.
In this case, we wanted to put a savory spin on our normal breakfast muffin, so we loaded them up with green veg (broccoli) and topped em off with tons of cheese. Absolute perfection.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (sharp) cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cooked broccoli, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly grease your muffin tin with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl or mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, melted butter and your egg, then pour mixture into dry ingredients.
- Mix everything together until incorporated, then fold in cheddar cheese and chopped broccoli.
- Pour muffin batter into muffin tin, then place tin in oven and bake for 21-24 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Simple Nourished Living